The good news is that most sleep disorders can be effectively treated. However, when left untreated, they can result in serious health risks and dangerous medical problems. Sleep disorders have been linked to conditions including:
- High blood pressure
- Respiratory failure
- Fatal heart attacks
The most common disorders include obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, narcolepsy, periodic limb movement disorder, restless legs syndrome, behaviorally-conditioned awakenings, sleepwalking, night terrors, bedwetting, and insomnia.
For patients requiring a sleep lab study, our program is located in a hotel-like setting with comfortable beds and private bathrooms. Following your overnight study, a light continental breakfast is served in the morning to help you get up and on with your day.
A board certified pulmonary physician will read your test results, then forward them to you personal physician. Your physician will then be able to consult with you and recommend appropriate follow-up care and treatment options.
If needed, the lab can also refer you to physicians specializing in pulmonology, neurology, psychiatry, or dental/oral surgery.
- Loud or irregular breathing during sleep
- Episodes of breath holding or apneas during sleep
- Gasping for air which causes awakening during sleep
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Drowsy driving
- Sleepiness while on the job
- Trouble concentrating
- Irritability and/or apathy
- Memory difficulties
- Uncomfortable leg sensations when trying to sleep
- Leg kicking during sleep
- Yelling or screaming during sleep
- Violent activity during sleep